Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Web 2.0

Web 2.0 has made it possible for individuals who have access to the Internet to become apart of the online world in a big way. Each and every click of the mouse is affecting the Internet. While reading this article I found it interesting in the methods on calculating the votes to access what people are searching the most. How search engines eliminate and calculate top searches. The one thing I will be taking away from this article in regards to future aspirations is the convenience that this system of top rated videos; articles and words in general can be calculated on a worldwide level. My future goal is to become a children’s author and integrate the web with reading books for a young audience. With the Internet allowing access to see what is selling on websites such as Amazon it is helpful to gaining knowledge of what is popular for young children. This also can be said for top websites that children visit. What do they have? Games? Videos? Pictures? With the interaction of the voting system it is now easy to calculate what sets certain items apart from others. Also what is more popular at any given time.

One of the more interesting web applications I have come across lately is the grooveshark application for Blackberry phones. This application will allow one to in theory gain access to any artist, album and song anywhere. With this application for blackberry phones it allows one to have full access of music for free and be able to listen to it whenever one has their phones on them. I find this so revolutionary because I wonder if ITunes sales will be affected in a negative way.

6 comments:

  1. I too am excited with the move of books to an online space. Google books has been doing some crazy work on scanning the classics, and I dont expect it to take too much longer for new books like children's fiction to find a space on the web at release. It will be a good tie in to a child's education of computers if they grew up reading their favorite books on an e-reader or some sort of web connected device.

    Oh, and I love grooveshark too, though it cost money for my android device :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like what you considered the most important part of the article. I think it is very insightful that you see how valuable the data would be with regards to understanding and capturing a child's attention.

    Grooveshark is a really cool application. I think there is going to be a huge shift in the music world, as more people want to access music via their mobile devices. I do not know how much it will hurt iTunes, but I think there is something catchy about not having to download music to a computer or mp3 player.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simmone!
    Very nice blog post, I also find that the algorithms used on the web are incredibly fascinating it gives me the impression that the web is almost learning like a human being would. I love the idea of open source music as well, it makes finding new, up and coming artists without being filtered by main stream music. I think this style of application is going to change the way people share creative works.

    -Caimen Nguyen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey,

    I'm not sure what this Grooveshark really is because I don't have a fancy smart device... but it sounds cool. I think that a program/app like this will probably hit itunes but also it could start a downfall for the money hungry media industry; which would be good for us consumers.

    I also think it would be fascinating to see how children of the near future would use the digital integration of books and their possible interactivity.

    ~Drew

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting connection between the reading and you future (and awesome) future professional goals. I think storytelling in digital spaces, and recognition of how web2.0 can facilitate either the telling or the content, is pretty fascinating stuff. Great post overall, but do work next time to make a few more direct references to the reading just so I can see that you are really grasping the main points. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with your statement “each and every click of the mouse is affecting the internet.” I received a phone call today of a company claiming that they had this life time opportunity to make money online. I asked them how and the person said that Amazon, Google, Ebay and Travelocity paid them to “recruit” people to make them small business owners on the internet and all they had to do was to just promote for those websites within a website that they would set up for you. They claimed that I would be making money by having people go into my website and clicking on (pay-per click) links to the other major websites. Now whether the company that they claim to be was a real company I don’t know but I believe the whole pay-per click concept is real big companies pay a webhost to have their adds on their webpage and they get paid by the click. When I read about the methods they calculate votes didn’t surprised me seen that I had already heard the concept of the “clicks” But computer and apps have sure made a lot of things easier for companies and the government get out to the public easier.

    ReplyDelete