Monday, January 24, 2011

Blog #2

I found the first few chapters very interesting in relations to his view on photos. It just resonated with me because I am by no means OCD and I do in fact “misplace” or “forget” but mostly “never see again” some of my photos that I saved quickly. The DSC and the following long number really just doesn’t help me at all. However, this brings up another point he spoke about. How unlike in the physical world items do not have one place. The whole “You can’t be in two places at once” phrase does not apply here—here being the Internet or digital world. That all the information on the Internet can be stored in multiple areas, everything is miscellaneous. How we organize things within our heads verses how we organize them in the digital world. What categories we put certain pieces of information and how it is similar to how we think.

Personally I don’t keep much of anything organized. I like to have the allusion of organization and with that I have a planner for my day’s activities. However, I will write “remember to” notes anywhere in there. I find my planner to be a lot like the digital world—It can be stored anywhere within the planner. But, aside from my notes to myself due dates for projects, and test are organized and recorded with the up most care. I document deadlines because they have to be done verses just randomly writing things I would like to get to sometime. They don’t have an end date, I could in theory do them whenever, unlike homework or appointments.

7 comments:

  1. Nice, you covered everything pretty well, i think i wrote to much on my blog haha. Thats cool that you orgainze your day activities, i just started using those posted notes on my desktop. They help ALOT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do the same thing with my planner! I try so hard to be organized, but I'm rarely able to stay that way. I think in the digital world it's so easy to become unorganized and to simply forget things saved on our computers. Especially photos! It's true, the DSC_00383.jpg system is so unorganized, but who wants to take the time to re-name all of the photos to something relevent? And then how do we organize those photos in a way that makes sense? I think the key would be to organize a set of folders, but even then it's a lot of organization for someone who isn't OCD!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also dont keep very many things of mine organized. I just seem to know when things need to be done. I make lots of randoms lists though, of mostly homework. I wish there was a better way of organizing our photo collections.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have all of my photos (thousands) organized by date. All of my photos are on my external hard drive in folders labeled with the month and year (January 2011) and then within those folders I have folders with more specific dates (2010_08_18) that my camera automatically assigns. I found that organizing my photos by date enables me to quickly find a certain photo or event. Each folder displays a few images that are in that folder, so that also helps me find certain photos because I already have an idea of what other photos are in that folder. This method of organization may not work for some, but it works for me. I hate renaming images, I never do because I read somewhere that it changes the resolution or something. I keep the original image name (IMG_0121) but I could see how tagging could be very helpful, especially if you are dealing with a large quantity of images.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah yes I know exactly what you mean. I also attempt to give the impression (mostly to myself than anyone else) that i'm organized and always on top of everything. It is difficult to find a system that works in all situations, and i think that's where most of us have trouble.
    I like what you said in the last sentence of the first paragraph, about how we all have our own personal way of thinking, and so we all organize differently. Perhaps there isn't a universal "good way" since everyone works.thinks differently...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed how you said how you want to have the "allusion" of being organized. haha It really did make me laugh because I think that is exactly how I am when it comes to myself and cleaning my room but I never really noticed it. I guess I would label myself as a "stuffer" when I look at it like that. As for the first part of you writing I liked how you talked about "You cant be in places at once" and how that does not apply to the internet and the digital world and I agree very much so. Your writing was very clear and I enjoyed reading your explanations.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your summary of the key points of the chapter is a bit brief. I do quite like the point you make, and I think it's quite relevant to the reading, but in order for me to do my grading thing, I really have to "see" that you dug into the reading and pulled out the key points. Looking at my "pay attention to" points from the schedule is a way of focusing in on the reading. If you want to see the type of thing I was looking for on this post, take a peek at Katie E or Tom B's blogs.

    ReplyDelete